By the end of 2013, there will be more mobile devices than people. When you combine that with the fact that the average person has their mobile phone with them 22 hours a day, it adds up to a marketing opportunity your business can’t afford to ignore. Despite these stats, many businesses are just starting to think about a mobile marketing strategy. For any business wanting to be successful, mobile marketing is a need.
Mobile business strategies
Whether you want your company to go mobile or not, it already is. That’s because every day your customers or potential customers are reading your emails, visiting your website, and searching the web for your company all from their smartphones.
To more fully make use of all these smartphone users searching for your business it’s important to think about mobile search. Since it’s a good place to start when it comes to a mobile marketing strategy, that’s what we’re going to focus on.
What is mobile search and why is it important?
Whenever smartphone user uses their mobile device to perform an internet search, that’s mobile search. Now days, that’s how the majority of people are making decisions about where to shop and where to eat. If your business can’t easily be found on the internet and isn’t coming up in search results, you won’t see the same success as business that are.
If you need some convincing, think about these mobile search statistics:
- 75% of people choose what restaurant to eat at based on search results
- 73% of mobile searches lead to some type of action from the person performing the search
- 97% of consumers use the internet to research products and services
- 70% of mobile searches are acted on within the hour
- By the end of 2013, mobile searches will surpass PC searches
How to go mobile
It’s clear: people are making purchasing decisions based heavily on mobile searches, you want to make sure your business is coming up in the search results. Here’s some advice for getting seen in mobile searches:
- Keep your website, socials, and online listings current so search engines can find you
- Check out apps like Foursquare and Yellow Pages online as they will help connect local customers with your business
- Have a strong presence on review sites like Yelp, TripAdvisor, and Urbanspoon
There’s more to success than simply showing up in search results. You want potential customers to form positive connections with your business. Here are some ways to do this:
- Don’t be afraid to ask some of your satisfied customers to write a positive review on review sites and your Facebook page
- Regularly read and respond to feedback whether it be good or bad. Bad feedback is unavoidable so make the most of it by responding professionally and tactfully
- Use images of your products whenever possible as people respond to visual content better than just text
- Encourage customers to take photos and write reviews at your business with their smartphones
Source: Biz Journal